Psalm 37:4 (NIV)

(4) Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Ephesians 1:4-6 (NIV)

(4) For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love (5) he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will - (6) to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Our First Adoption Seminar...

Mike and I are on our way to obtaining the required educational courses we have to take for the adoption. We both have to take a minimum of 10 hours each. This past Tuesday we went to a seminar offered at a local church. The topic was very interesting discussing how we can share our faith with the birth mother during and after the adoption process.

We also talked about open v. closed adoptions along with challenges presented by both bringing the discussion back around to sharing the gospel. Two women were at the seminar to share their adoption stories and how they have reached out to the birth mothers.

Our next class could be more challenging emotionally but I'm very excited about going. We will be attending the Parent-Baby connect class offered by Wake-Med. This is for expecting and adopting families but they warn the adoptive families that there will be expecting mothers attending which could be difficult for those that recently went through infertility. I really do feel ready for the class but I think it helps because I know we are on the path to having our forever family. The class will specifically cover how to swaddle, use a bulb syringe to clean babies nose, give a bath and the latest in infant care.

There is also an online class that we plan to take which discusses the challenges of adopting trans racially. Another class I plan to take is about preparing and making lifebooks.

We have also signed up to attend an adoption expo in September.

Overall, it will be a breeze for both Mike and I to complete our 10 hours of class time.

No comments: